A Pet's Ten Commandments
- My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
- Give me time to understand what you want of me.
- Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
- Don’t be angry with me for long, and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
- Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
- Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
- Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
- Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, I’ve been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
- Please take care of me when I grow old. You, too, will grow old.
- On the ultimate difficult journey, please go with me. Never say you can’t bear to watch. Don’t make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me, if you are there, because I love you so.
Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them, for life would be a much duller and less joyful experience without God’s critters.
We do not have to wait for Heaven to be surrounded by hope, love and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!